Monday, August 04, 2008

Learning PLUS...

Phew, the next few weeks will be busy.

I've made a start with All Together Now: A 2.0 Learning Experience being run by Michael Stephens and School Library Journal. It's fantastic so far, and I've enjoyed seeing the communication channels and discussions start to open up across the globe. I'm particularly thrilled to see a number of Australian librarians join the program. I've already met up with someone I met at a LIANZA conference a few years ago.

While the web 2.0 concepts are not new to me some of the tools are. I am wanting to complete the program as a participant, in the hopes of running a similar program at work sometime in the future. I've learned a lot about new tools, and am trying out WordPress for the first time for my learning blog.

In addition, today I start work on another online learning program, this one a bit more formal - Facilitated Online Learning as an Interactive Opportunity(FOLIOz) course ‘Evaluating Information Skills Training (InfoSkills2)’.

There are 52 librarians in Australia contributing to this seven week course being presented by ALIA and delivered by a team based at the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR), University of Sheffield in the UK.
The course is based around a wiki and uses Google Groups for discussions.

By the end of this course, participants will be able to:

  • Understand and define the concepts of ‘information skills’ and 'information literacy'.
  • Evaluate the effectiveness of learning.
  • Design feedback forms for students.
  • Evaluate feedback from students.
  • Measure the impact of information skills training courses.
  • Evaluate training provision.
  • Engage with fellow course participants in discussing issues arising from evaluating information skills training.
Looks interesting...

1 comment:

Michelle McLean said...

You definitely will be busy, but it will be sooooo worth it - good luck!